FIRE Is Not About Giving Up Coffee

A few days ago, while scrolling through social media, I came across the story of Colin Lau, a Singaporean who achieved Financial Independence and retired at the age of 35.  Like many others, I was curious.  It was not just because he retired so young.  What intrigued me was the way he chose to live afterwards.

From the interviews and articles I read, Colin has intentionally embraced a minimalist lifestyle.  He keeps his personal spending low, values freedom over material possessions, and has spoken openly about using part of his time and resources to support charitable causes and underprivileged communities.  I genuinely respect the conviction it takes to live according to one's principles.  As I finished reading his story, I found myself reflecting on my own FIRE journey.  Not because I wanted to copy his lifestyle, but because it reminded me that Financial Independence does not have a single definition.

Every one of us is trying to reach the same destination, yet we all choose different paths to get there.  For me, FIRE has never been about spending as little money as possible.  Instead, it has always been about spending intentionally.  That simple thought stayed with me for the rest of the day.

The next morning, my routine was exactly the same as it has been for years.  A cup of homemade instant coffee.  A bowl of oatmeal with milk.  Nothing fancy.  In fact, the coffee powder I buy is usually one of the cheapest I can find at the supermarket.  To be completely honest, I drink coffee because I need the caffeine.  I have never considered myself a coffee expert.  I probably could not tell the difference between an ordinary cup of coffee and a premium artisan brew even if someone placed them side by side.  So spending eight or ten dollars on a cup of coffee every morning has never made much sense to me.  The cheapest instant coffee does the job perfectly well.

The same philosophy quietly extends to many other parts of my life.  Most of my lunches are simply "cai fan".  I don't spend much on luxury brands, expensive gadgets or the latest trends.  If someone observed my daily life in Singapore, they would probably describe it as rather ordinary.  And honestly, I am perfectly happy with that, because every dollar I choose not to spend on things that do not matter to me becomes a dollar that can be invested for my future or saved for experiences that truly enrich my life.

However that does not mean I never spend money.  In fact, far from it.  Every now and then, I enjoy a Shabu Sai buffet alone.  It is not a five-star hotel buffet or an extravagant dining experience.  It is simply an affordable meal that I genuinely enjoy.  Those quiet meals have become small rewards that remind me why I work in the first place.

Travelling is another area where I happily spend more, be it solo travelling or travelling with my mum.  When I am overseas, I often find myself sitting in a beautiful cafe overlooking the beach in Bali, or resting after a long day of exploring somewhere new with mum in Japan, Korea or in China.  Ironically, the coffee itself probably is not that much better than the instant coffee I drink every morning at home.  What I am really paying for is not the coffee.  It is the experience, the atmosphere, the memory of sitting quietly in a beautiful place that I may never visit again.  That experience stays with me long after the coffee has been finished.

Perhaps that is why I have never really agreed with the popular idea that FIRE is about giving up coffee.  To me, FIRE is not about saying "no" to everything.  It is about understanding what genuinely adds value to your life and what does not.  I do not need gourmet coffee every morning because I simply do not value it enough.  But I also do not feel guilty spending money on travelling with my mum, enjoying a good buffet once in a while, or visiting a beautiful cafe overseas.  Those are purchases that bring me lasting happiness.

My financial journey reflects this philosophy too.  I have never earned a spectacular income.  In fact, my current annual income is below SGD 50K.  When I was younger, I had much more energy and ambition.  I packed my days with as many tuition assignments as I could manage.  Naturally, my income was considerably higher.

As the years passed, my priorities slowly changed.  I began valuing time more than squeezing every possible dollar out of my schedule.  Today, I work less than I used to.  Some people might see that as a step backwards.  There are moments when I wonder whether I should have earned more.  After all, I graduated from NUS with a Chemical Engineering degree, and like many graduates, I once imagined climbing the corporate ladder and earning a much higher salary.  

Life unfolded differently for me.  Instead of chasing promotions and bigger pay cheques, I slowly built a career as a private tutor.  The income has never been extraordinary.  But while my salary remained relatively ordinary, something else was quietly happening in the background.  Month after month, year after year, I continued investing.  Every dividend received became another brick added to the foundation of my financial future.  There were no shortcuts.  No overnight success, no lucky stock that made me rich, just patience, just consistency.

Today, my dividend portfolio has grown to a level that I could hardly imagine when I first started investing.  Looking back, I realise my greatest financial achievement was never about earning the highest salary.  It was about consistently creating a gap between what I earned and what I spent, then allowing time and compounding to do the rest.  

My dream today is beautifully simple.  One day, I hope my annual dividend income will exceed my annual employment income.  Reaching that point means work becomes a choice rather than a necessity.  That, to me, is what Financial Independence has always meant.  Reading Colin's story reminded me that there are many ways to achieve FIRE.  Some people find happiness through extreme minimalism.  Some prefer to continue working even after becoming financially independent.  Others choose to devote themselves to charitable work.  There is no universal formula.  The mistake is believing that someone else's version of FIRE must become our own.

My version of FIRE will probably always include simple breakfasts, homemade coffee and "cai fan".  It will also include travelling, photography, beautiful cafes overseas, occasional Shabu Sai buffets and creating memories with the people I love.  I do not think those two ideas contradict each other.  In fact, they complement each other perfectly.  The simple life I choose to live every day gives me the freedom to enjoy those special moments without guilt.

Perhaps the real goal of FIRE isn't to spend as little as possible.  It is to spend as intentionally as possible.  I do not need gourmet coffee every morning.  I do not need luxury brands.  I do not need to impress anyone with my lifestyle.  But I do want to travel with my mum.  I do want to enjoy an occasional buffet.  I do want to sit quietly in a small cafe halfway across the world and simply watch life go by.  Those are the things I choose to spend on.  Everything else simply makes those moments possible.  And perhaps that is why I have come to believe that FIRE was never really about giving up coffee.  It was always about choosing what is truly worth paying for.  Barista FIRE, here I come...!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learnt From The Book “Get Rich with Dividends” As A Dividend Investor

Portfolio Update Q4 2025

Is the Middle Class Disappearing? Reflections as an Early 40s Adult in Singapore