Why I Treat CPF As The Bond Portion Of My Portfolio

My Central Provident Fund (CPF) is one of the less exciting parts of my financial journey is also one of the most important.

While many investors spend countless hours searching for the next winning stock, the next high-yield REIT, or the next investment opportunity, my CPF simply sits quietly in the background, doing what it has always done - compounding steadily year after year.  I have never invested a single cent of my CPF monies.

As of today, my CPF OA and SA combined are still below SGD150,000.  It is slightly above the Basic Retirement Sum (BRS), but still a long way from the Full Retirement Sum (FRS).  Yet I have no intention of using CPFIS or trying to squeeze out a higher return from these funds.  Instead, I treat my CPF as the bond portion of my portfolio.  For me, CPF is not a tool for maximizing returns.  It is a tool for managing risk.


Building Stability While Taking Risk Elsewhere

My investment portfolio already provides enough excitement.

I own dividend-paying stocks. I own REITs. I am exposed to market volatility, economic cycles, interest rate movements and occasional market panics. Prices can swing wildly within a matter of days or weeks.

That is simply part of investing.

Because a large portion of my wealth is already exposed to the stock market, I have never felt the need to take additional risk with my CPF.  In fact, I see CPF as serving the exact opposite purpose.  When markets are booming, CPF quietly compounds.  When markets are crashing, CPF quietly compounds.  When investors are celebrating record highs or worrying about recessions, CPF continues doing exactly the same thing.  There is something reassuring about having one part of my financial life that does not depend on market sentiment.


The Beauty of Boring Compounding

Many investors underestimate the power of a safe 4% to 5% return.  The financial media rarely talks about boring returns.  Headlines are usually dominated by stocks that doubled, cryptocurrencies that surged, or the latest market darlings.

Steady compounding does not make headlines.  Yet over long periods of time, it can be incredibly powerful.  Every year, CPF credits interest without requiring me to make any decisions.  There is no need to monitor earnings reports, study annual reports, analyse valuations, or react to market noise.  The money simply grows.

While a 4% or 5% annual return may not sound exciting, it becomes very meaningful when compounded over decades.  Most importantly, it allows me to focus my attention on managing the rest of my portfolio.


My Unique Situation As A Malaysian Singapore PR

My approach to CPF is also influenced by something that many Singapore citizens do not have to consider.  I am a Malaysian holding Singapore Permanent Resident status.  My long-term retirement plan is likely to involve retiring in Johor Bahru, where the cost of living is significantly lower than Singapore.  Because of this, there is always a possibility that I may eventually lose or give up my PR status when I retire.  

If that happens, I could be required to withdraw my CPF savings, depending on the rules at that time.  That changes how I view CPF compared to someone who expects to remain in Singapore for life.  For Singapore citizens, CPF is a lifelong retirement system that continues into retirement.  For me, CPF may eventually become a lump sum that is unlocked when my residency status changes.  That possibility makes me appreciate the stability and “set-and-forget” nature of CPF even more.

Rather than treating CPF as another investment account to optimise, I prefer to let it grow safely while I focus my investing efforts elsewhere.


What Happens After I Retire in Malaysia

There is another important layer to this plan.

When I eventually retire in Malaysia and no longer maintain my Singapore PR status, I also lose the ability to continue growing my CPF “bond allocation” through ongoing contributions.  At that point, I do not see it as a loss of strategy, but rather a transition.  The role that CPF plays today, which is a stable, government-backed compounding engine, will need to be replaced.  And the natural replacement for me is Malaysia’s Employees Provident Fund (EPF).

Instead of viewing CPF and EPF as separate and unrelated systems, I see them as doing a similar job in different countries.  CPF is my Singapore-based bond-like compounding pillar.  EPF will become my Malaysia-based bond-like compounding pillar.  The idea remains the same: a stable, low-maintenance, government-supported compounding pool that anchors my overall portfolio while I take risk elsewhere in equities and REITs.

In other words, when CPF stops growing due to my life transition, EPF takes over the same role in a different jurisdiction.


A Safety Net In An Uncertain World

As I move closer towards financial independence, I increasingly value resilience over optimisation.

In my younger years, I paid more attention to maximising returns, chasing yields.  Today, I spend more time thinking about how to reduce risk.  A successful retirement is not about who earns the highest return in any single year.  It is about whether the plan can survive market crashes, recessions, inflation, and unexpected life changes.

CPF plays an important role in providing that resilience.  It is one of the few parts of my financial life that I never worry about.  That peace of mind becomes more valuable as the years go by.


Two Engines Working Together

When I look at my overall financial plan, I see two engines powering my retirement.

The first engine is my dividend portfolio.  This generates cash flow, provides growing income, and offers long-term capital appreciation.

The second engine is CPF today, and eventually EPF tomorrow.  These provide stability, predictability, and a foundation that is largely unaffected by market volatility.

One engine helps me grow wealth.  The other helps me preserve and stabilise wealth.  Together, they create balance.


Final Thoughts

There is nothing glamorous about leaving CPF untouched.

It will never be a ten-bagger.  It will never make for exciting coffee shop stories.  But not every part of a portfolio needs to be exciting.  Sometimes the most valuable assets are the ones that quietly do their job year after year without attention.

CPF is my bond allocation, my safety net, and my stability layer.  While my stocks and REITs do the heavy lifting for growth and income, my CPF continues compounding in the background, and my future EPF will take over the same role when the time comes.  As I move towards a life that may eventually be based in Johor, that sense of stability matters more and more with each passing year.  Barista FIRE, here I come...!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learnt From The Book “Get Rich with Dividends” As A Dividend Investor

Portfolio Update Q4 2025

Is the Middle Class Disappearing? Reflections as an Early 40s Adult in Singapore