A Privilege To Sponsor A Trip To Bangkok For My Mum and Aunt

Early this year, I had the privilege to sponsor my mum, aunt and myself to a short trip to Bangkok.  This is possible because of the 25% growth in dividends collected in 2023 compared to 2022 from my SG Dividend Portfolio, and due to the slight increase in tutoring income in 2023 after pushing myself to work 7 days a week for the second half of the year.  As such, I think it is time to take a break and pamper myself a little, and also take this opportunity to bring my mum and aunt together to my favourite future retirement destination.  This is their first trip to Bangkok (they had been to Chiang Mai, Phuket and Hat Yai), so I have to do the planning upfront to bring them to do some sight-seeing and enjoy some great food not to be missed, while keeping in mind to minimize walking during the trip.

It was a 4 day 3 night trip, and we arrived at Don Mueang International Airport in the early afternoon.  We took a grab ride to our hotel, Trinity Silom Hotel, close to Chong Nonsi BTS and Lalai Sap Market.  Hotel was decent for the elders (personally I always go for budget), and they took a short rest before we head out to our food adventures!

On the first day, I brought them to the famous Rung Rueang Pork Noodles via BTS, and a short walk was from the BTS was needed.  Food wise, the clear soup noodles were peppery and nice, tom yum soup noodles were hot and spicy with a kick!  Overall was good, pretty much like Bak Chor Mee.  After the simple meal, we went back to the BTS station and went to Jodd Fairs DanNeramit.  The walking distance from BTS was a little too far for my elders, so we took short rests in between at the bus stops.  Overall a nice place with insta-worthy backdrop of the castles and vintage cars, accompanied by a super sumptuous meal (no one to blame as I ordered the lobster without checking the price, so, came the forearm's length lobster with a SGD 200 price tag, and I officially became the carrot on the first night).  Nonetheless, it was an experience and I am glad both the elders enjoyed the meal.

Day two was sight-seeing day.  After a filling breakfast we packed from the Lalai Sap Market, we grab off to The Ancient City.  It was an hour ride there, and we rented the golf cart to tour around the place.  My first experience driving the golf cart around, and that made the sight-seeing a tad more comfortable for my mum and aunt as they do not need to walk around.  After the tour, we grab for another hour back to the city to try another famous local delight, Kuay Jab Mr Joe for our lunch.  The crispy pork was really good and the food was value for money, affordable price with loads of ingredients!  After that, we head back to the hotel as they were feeling tired, and the sunny afternoon was not comfortable for them.  Later at night, we went to Icon Siam to eat at the basement foodcourt.  Variety of food was great, just like indoor night market but with the comfort of aircon, but there was a huge crowd.  Best dish of the night is definitely the mango sticky rice!  After dinner, we strolled along the riverside and enjoyed the majestic view along the Chao Phraya river.

Day three was free and easy.  We went to Siam Paragon basement for our lunch, and head off to Siam Square for dessert at White Flower Factory, famous for their coconut cake.  After the dessert, we met up with my brother and sister-in-law, and they brought my mum and aunt to Platinum Mall and Big C for some shopping.  I am not interested, so that afternoon, I had my free and easy time and went for a massage.  For dinner, we went to the famous Sornthong Pochana Seafood Restaurant for some chinese food, and we ended the day, full and satisfied.

Finally it was the last day.  We went to walk around the Lalai Sap Market for the last time for the elders to do their final shopping after breakfast, and we checked out at noon and grab back to Don Mueang International Airport.  

Overall it was a pleasant trip, and I am glad the elders enjoyed the trip without complains.  Walking is an inevitable activity during traveling, so with them, I need to remind myself to look for resting spots constantly for them to take a short rest.  Overall the trip was nice, and for 3 of us (in two hotel rooms side by side), the total cost of this trip is roughly about SGD 1.5K.  Look forward to better dividends and income in the upcoming years, and up next will be a trip to Japan with mum later in the year!  For now, Barista FIRE, here I come...!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Does SGD 200K Of Annual Dividends Sound To You?

2 Milestones Reached and A First-Time Income- BHS, 0.5M and SBL

A Review Of The REITs' Quarterly Performances