What Getting Covid Taught Me As A Self-Employed

On 4th October, I tested positive for Covid for the first time (Yes I was fine through the peak of the pandemic, but fallen casualty now).  It felt horrible initially when I was running a high fever at 39.6 ͦ C, and suffered from body aches.  Thankfully after seeing the doctor and after 2 doses of Ibuprofen, the fever subsided and my body aches went away as well (learnt something new, that Panadol is only effective against fever below 38.5 ͦ C, anything higher will need stronger medication like Ibuprofen).

Being a self employed, this meant a lot to me.  Principally, it meant a loss of income, as my body is unwell and that made me unable to even try to conduct online lesson.  So for one whole week, I could do little besides eat, sleep and repeat (thankfully I did not lose my sense of smell and taste, though food does taste a little weird, but it's back to normal after a while).  Although it only greatly impacted me for about a week, but it created uneasiness in me, because a self-employed is not covered by medical leave or any kind of paid leave.  In addition, all the visits to polyclinic incurred extra expenses that is non-reimbursable from anyone, other than myself.

This episode further highlighted the importance of an emergency fund, especially for self-employed because we will never know when we will be made redundant due to unforeseen circumstances.  It is especially crucial for self-employed to have our base safety net ready all time- "Protection of Income" in the financial pyramid.  The amount to set aside varies for individuals, but a 6-month worth of expenses in the form of cash buffer should be a basic safety net.  More importantly, it also signals to me that whatever I have done this year is on the right path, that is to build up my CPF MA to the basic healthcare sum, so that if any cash crunch does happen, at least I have funds in CPF MA to tap into.  It also further motivates me on the need to build up my CPF SA as well, as a secure safety net for any unforeseen circumstances in future, especially upon retirement.

In addition, it also highlighted to myself that health is wealth.  On the first day I was largely bedridden.  I just slept on and on, though uncomfortable due to body aches, I continue to sleep.  I could not do anything else because the fever and headache was making me rather disoriented and nothing could be done.  Thankfully after the fever subsidized, my body aches went away as well and I became more active and mobile thereafter.  However, being covid positive still meant that I should play my part and not roam around despite feeling much better, so I still continue to confine myself in the house for the whole week.  

That also made me rethink my semi-retirement life.  Personally I am working towards Barista FIRE and I have mentioned that I hope I can commence Barista FIRE at 42, and full FIRE at 45.  Now, I think I would choose do Barista FIRE till a later age, probably 50 if I can, because during this week of self quarantine, I find that doing nothing is not good.  It made me so lazy, as my routine just revolve around sleep, eat, sleep and repeat.  That is definitely not a healthy early retirement life I would envision.  I think it is simply true that having a purpose is quite important, and I suppose I am still finding that purpose.  Being someone who is rather spontaneous instead of having a detailed plan, I probably do not know what I truly want till I arrive at the junction at the moment.  So, I suppose I will just have to have a sufficient buffer planned for my finances, but when it comes to the actual activities, it can be flexible, depending on the mood at that time.  I will continue to blog about my activities after Barista FIRE and FIRE!

Well, covid cases are indeed making a comeback on Singapore shores recently, as reported by Channel News Asia.  Do take care, and continue to take safety precautions.  Stay safe, and have a great weekend ahead.  Barista FIRE, here I come...!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Does SGD 200K Of Annual Dividends Sound To You?

2 Milestones Reached and A First-Time Income- BHS, 0.5M and SBL

A Review Of The REITs' Quarterly Performances